Family Council Facilitation
"We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak."
A Family Council is a semi-formal governance forum providing a more structured approach to the family side of family business. All family members (as defined by the family) are involved in establishing the council and defining key components of your business.
The Family Council is a forum where your family can:
- Share information affecting the family, either business or personal
- Bring in a speaker to present on a current issue
- Decide how decisions will be made and how to deal with conflict
- Discuss and create policies specific to your family business, such as who can work in the business, what are the criteria, and what is the policy around compensation
Read Family Councils in a Nutshell for a full overview.
Participants: All generations of active and inactive members in the business, family only.
Process: Pre-meetings with each participant + 2 to 5 days of facilitated meeting days. The number of days needed depends on the objectives of the Family Council and knowledge of the family business system. Follow-up calls 2-6 weeks post-meeting.
Niki Kux-Kardos is a CAFE* Trained Family Business Meeting Facilitator.
* Canadian Association of Family Enterprise